130 WEST LOCKWOOD
This building was built in 1913 by John H. Berg, a Webster Groves contractor as the first fire house in the Old Webster section of town. In 1912, Webster Groves became the first county municipality to have a paid fire department and the fire equipment was kept in livery stables until this building was completed. It was paid for by funds that the firemen raised by holding picnics and carnivals. In 1974, the fire company moved into new quarters attached to city hall on Elm Avenue and the building was sold and converted into offices.
This is a narrow two-story brick building with a flat parapet roof. It has a third story square tower in the back formerly for drying hose. Decorative brickwork forms a segmental arch over the triple windows on the second floor, polished limestone articulates the parapet and is used as window sills and a string course above the second floor, The large garage door on the front has been replaced by large picture windows that are protected by vertical wood slats. The entrance is now on the east side from a side courtyard.
In 1974, the building was purchased by Jockenhoefer Associates and renovated into a showroom and offices for the architectural firm. Interior renovations include reusing 150 year-old salvaged doors from St. Mary's Seminary in Perryville, Missouri. In the 1980s it was Finan Publishing and later the home office of Mary Engelbreit Designs. In 1994 Copernicus Designs Jewelry moved into the building and ran their business there for more than 10 years.
Sweeties has operated a specialty sweets shop since then and is also the home of The Very Best Cookies.
Here is an oral history from the Webster Groves Historical Society tour.