20-24 NORTH GORE
THE M.W. WARREN BUILDING
This building was built in 1886 by Marshall W. Warren. Warren owned the M.W. Warren Coke Company which sold coke to Union Electric and for many years he owned Oak Hill Cemetery. Warren and his family formed the Webster Groves Real Estate Company buying, selling and renting real estate in Webster.
This is a two-story, brick building in the Victorian Venacular with a flat roof and Mesker cornices. The first floor has two retail stores with large storefront windows and the second floors house offices and residential apartments. The Northwest corner originally featured the store entrance which was later moved to the center. The second floor apartments were originally accessed from the side door on Moody Avenue. The Gore Avenue side has cast iron pilasters and an ornate iron cornice. The two windows on the South half of the second story have large arched window frames with carved Eastlake ornamentation.
Webster Historical Society Walking Tour: Audio Tour
The cornice was manufactured by The Mesker Iron Works Company of St. Louis. Here is a story in the Missouri Historical Society's Gateway magazine in 2012.
Suburban Cleaners operated a local cleaning and dyeing service out of 24 North Gore storefront for almost 100 years till the late 1990s.
20 North Gore has housed many different businesses through the years, including the F. W. Thatenhorst Hardware, Geo Craig Restaurant, Martin Schmidt Barber, G. W. Farrington Dry Goods, Webster Groves
Hardware, Fred Straub Hardware, Milton Cochran Hardware, Thomas Young Gifts, Coffee Grinder Gift Shop and Apple of Your Eye.