CONNON FLORAL COMPANY
The first business to become established in Old Webster was Connon's Floral Company in 1861. Charles Connon, a Scotsman, bought the first four lots from John Marshall's subdivision at the Pacific Railroad and Gore Avenue (then known as Church Street).
The Connon Floral Company was one of the first, if not the first florist in St. Louis County. Mr. Connon was a typical Scotchman and on occasion wore kilts. He was a leader in the community and one of the original organizers of the Webster Groves School District and the First Congregational Church. He married Carolyn Moody, a daughter of Augustus Moody. He died of septic poisoning on January 25, 1902.
At his death Charles Connon was one of St. Louis County's oldest and best-known citizens having immigrated here in 1852 and establishing his home in early Webster. He was active in civic affairs including voter registration and an unsuccessful run for mayor in 1901.
His son John took over the floral operations and was quite successful. He also built several buildings and houses in Old Webster. The building at 34 North Gore was built around 1912 as three storefronts and upstairs residential flats. For a period of time the Webster Groves post office was located in one of the storefronts. He also built the houses on the East end of the property that face Elm Ave.
The Connons donated the land where the Pacific Railroad's new Webster Groves depot was built in 1907.