HENRY SCHULZ FEED COMPANY
A PIONEER SETTLER and BUSINESSMAN
Henry Schulz came to Webster Groves and established his feed and grain store in 1893 in a building at Moody and Gore where the Heritage Building is now. Two years later he moved to the current location at 60 North Gore. The initial wooden 50x70 building was moved over 50 feet to allow for a new brick building in 1906. The frame building burned down eight years later and was replaced by a brick structure in 1914.
Mr. Schulz' first days in Webster were the days of the board walk and dirt streets and one telephone in the Douglas Drug store in the Allen Building. The telephone was used for all orders to St. Louis at .25 cents per call.
Mr. Schulz operated a livery stable in 1895 and for three years he had carriages and horses for hire on Gore Avenue until the street car tracks were completed.
Before the automobile age arrived the feed business was one of the most prosperous in the community. Schulz Feed Company had 10-12 cars on the Missouri Pacific railroad, which brought in such products as oats, corn and hay from various sections of the west and midwest.
Up until trucks were used the company was also in the moving business. Fifteen head of horses stabled beneath the store and fourteen wagons were used for this feed and moving business. For several years Schulz mixed his own feed. Also since there was only one phone in town, customers sent their orders in on penny postcards.
The building's large second floor was used to store furniture. There was also a very large safe which local businessmen used to store their valuables before the Bank of Webster Groves opened in 1901. Mr. Schulz was one of the organizers of that bank that eventually became the Webster Groves Trust Company.
Mr. Schulz was highly regarded in the community for many years. In 1920 he was appointed as a St. Louis County court judge by the governor. He was a director of the Webster Groves Trust.
Henry Schulz home was nearby at 60 Marshall Place. After his death in 1960, a brightly lighted Christmas tree was erected during the Christmas season at Gore and Lockwood in his memory for several years.
Webster News-Times article September 7, 1950
Webster News-Times article January 5, 1961
and other newspaper stories.