21-25 NORTH GORE
THE HERITAGE BUILDING
This building was built in 1907 by Morton J Day, owner of The Empire Real Estate Company. Originally named The Empire Building, this 16,000 sq foot building was built as an investment in the growing Webster Groves business district. The original formal Webster Groves City Hall offices were located here with the original city jail in the basement.
This is a three story, brick building with a flat roof and modest cornice. The first floor two retail stores with large storefront windows and the second and third floors house offices and the Musical Arts Academy music school. In 1937, the Shoss Realty Company had the cast iron storefront removed. Now it features a "colonial" style broken pediment over the two center entrances.
The growing Kinloch Telephone Company operated the Webster exchange out of this building until 1923 when it merged with Southwestern Bell. They occupied the South side of the third floor and the Webster Groves Masonic Lodge #84 used the large hall with a domed ceiling on the North side of the third floor as their meeting space.
During the 1920s the building was converted into apartments on the second and third floors. Rooms rented for $15 a month for a single and $25 for a double. Later in the late 40s it was slowly converted back to offices but several residents remained living in the building into the 1960s.
During the early 60s the building was converted into a professional building with medical practices. The entire second floor was operated by one practice. The third floor had a Selective Service Draft Board #100 and #220 offices (from 1962-1971).
The building has had many names. Originally built as the The Empire Building, briefly the Holland Building in 1958 but was soon called The Webster Professional Building and since 1980, The Heritage Building.
It has housed many different businesses through the years, including the Ambrose-Mueller Drug Store, W.J. Brennan Grocery, Empire Pharmacy, A Cigar Store, The Patchwork Fabric Store, Roberts Boys Shop, McCaughen & Burr Art & Framing and The Empty Nest.
Webster Historical Society Walking Tour: Audio Tour
Elevator (Dover installed in 1959)
Mens and ladies restrooms on each floor
Front and rear entrances
Public parking structure directly behind building
Large windows, updated office interiors
Located in Historic District
Restaurants and Shops